Scottish independence: Women say No to 'blokeish' First Minister Alex Salmond
Alex Salmond's "blokeish attitude" has made him a liability among women in Scotland during the independence referendum campaign, according to one of his chief opponents.
Margaret Curran, the Shadow Scottish Secretary, said Mr Salmond is "becoming a bit of a difficulty" for the Yes campaign after he lost last Tuesday's TV debate against Alistair Darling.
The First Minister of Scotland has long been considered the 'Yes' campaign's trump card. However, a Survation poll in the wake of the debate published yesterday showed that 52 per cent of women will reject independence in the 18 September vote.
Ms Curran said this weekend: "This blokeish attitude doesn't work with people, particularly women. I don't think his recent performances have done him any favours."
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
£70000 - £80000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Group Head of Marketing and Communic...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Level 3 Nursery Nurse required for ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: L3 Nursery Nurses urgently required...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: We have a number of schools based S...