Smart meters 'will cost households more'
Sunday 15 January 2012
Plans to install smart energy meters in every UK home could cost households even more, a consumer group warned the Government last night. A new report by Which? claims ministers are too hands-off about the £12bn project and are not properly in control of the costs. They warn that customers may not be protected from sharp price rises.
The meters will give almost real-time information about gas and electricity use, so customers can see clearly the immediate benefit of reducing energy consumption.
Caroline Flint, the shadow Energy Secretary, said: "The Government needs to make sure the smart meter roll-out doesn't cost consumers more than it needs to, or include any hidden costs." The energy minister, Charles Hendry, insisted smart meters give "more control on how you use energy at home and at work".
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
Greece debt crisis: Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande issue Athens with 24-hour ultimatum to avoid crashing out of the euro
Greece crisis: Referendum exposes a gaping hole at the heart of the European Union – its lack of genuine legitimacy
£23000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Business Analyst is required ...
£16000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To succeed, you will need to ha...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join an award winni...
£7 - £9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Are you outgoing? Do you want to work in...