Smart meters 'will cost households more'
Sunday 15 January 2012
Plans to install smart energy meters in every UK home could cost households even more, a consumer group warned the Government last night. A new report by Which? claims ministers are too hands-off about the £12bn project and are not properly in control of the costs. They warn that customers may not be protected from sharp price rises.
The meters will give almost real-time information about gas and electricity use, so customers can see clearly the immediate benefit of reducing energy consumption.
Caroline Flint, the shadow Energy Secretary, said: "The Government needs to make sure the smart meter roll-out doesn't cost consumers more than it needs to, or include any hidden costs." The energy minister, Charles Hendry, insisted smart meters give "more control on how you use energy at home and at work".
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This role is based within a small family run ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Design and marketing agenc...
£46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This property investment firm are lookin...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company specialises provid...