When Cara Hilton won a Scottish Parliament by-election last month, David Mills asked whether there had ever been an MP called Cara. The Labour History Group said no, but there had been a Carol, who was a man. Thus this list was born...
1. Ray Michie Female, Liberal Democrat, 1987-2001. One of four women in this list. (Thanks to David Mills.)
2. Robin Cook Male, Labour, 1974-2005. Nominated by Kieran C.
3. Carol Mather Male, soldier and Conservative MP, 1970-1987, who said of Douglas Hurd's German-style coat, "Last time I saw anyone wearing a coat like that, I shot him."
4. Mervyn Pike Female, Conservative, 1956-1974, after which she became chairman of the Women's Royal Voluntary Reserve.
5. Meredith Titterington Male, Labour, 1945-1949.
6. Evelyn Emmet Female, Conservative, 1955-1965. Unlike Evelyns King (Labour, 1945-1950, then Conservative, 1964-79) and Walkden (Labour, 1941-1950), who were male
7. Beverley Baxter Male, Conservative, 1935-1964, and editor of the Daily Express from 1929- 1933. With thanks to David Boothroyd.
8. Hilary Benn Male, Labour, 1999-present. With Kerry McCarthy, female, Labour, 2005-present, the only current MPs
9. Hyacinth Morgan Male, Labour, 1929-1931 and 1940-1955. Thanks to Labour History Group.
10. Jocelyn Cadbury Male, Conservative, 1979-1982. Thanks to David Boothroyd
Next week: Monarchs of England 1066-1707
Coming soon: Trollemics: 'deliberately over-the-top arguments designed to generate controversy'. Send your suggestions (by 3 December), along with ideas for any future Top 10s, to email@example.comReuse content