Time for a female Justice minister, say MPs
Louise Mensch, who recently announced her resignation as a Tory MP to be with her husband in New York, has criticised David Cameron for appointing an all-male team to the Ministry of Justice.
Ms Mensch has demanded that a female lawyer should be moved to a ministry post in the reshuffle expected in the autumn.
"We should get a woman minister in the MoJ and I am sure that it is/was already Cameron's ambition," she tweeted yesterday. It is necessary because the ministry deals with "rape, sexual trafficking and other crimes against women," she said.
The controversy over rape has been revived in this country by Ecuador's decision to grant political asylum to the WikiLeaks founder, Julian Assange, who is wanted for questioning by the Swedish police for alleged sexual crimes. He has been defended by the Respect MP, George Galloway, who claimed that, in sexual intercourse, "not everybody needs to be asked prior to each insertion". In the US, Congressman Todd Akin claimed women who are raped have a biological mechanism that prevents pregnancy. "Women are fed up with male politicians diminishing, dismissing and demeaning the horrific crime of rape," Ms Mensch wrote.
Charles Saatchi accepts caution for assault over incident in Scott’s restaurant when he put his hands on throat of wife Nigella Lawson
Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
Police examine photographs of Charles Saatchi with hand on Nigella Lawson's throat
Russian President Vladimir Putin denies stealing £16,000 diamond-encrusted Super Bowl ring
Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
- 1 Alan Pardew's warning to Joe Kinnear: I am still the Newcastle manager
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Charles Saatchi accepts caution for assault over incident in Scott’s restaurant when he put his hands on throat of wife Nigella Lawson
- 4 Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for another 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
£32000 - £33000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
Excellent Salary Package: Austen Lloyd: We have an outstanding opportunity for...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Room Leader NVQ Level ...