Time for a female Justice minister, say MPs
Louise Mensch, who recently announced her resignation as a Tory MP to be with her husband in New York, has criticised David Cameron for appointing an all-male team to the Ministry of Justice.
Ms Mensch has demanded that a female lawyer should be moved to a ministry post in the reshuffle expected in the autumn.
"We should get a woman minister in the MoJ and I am sure that it is/was already Cameron's ambition," she tweeted yesterday. It is necessary because the ministry deals with "rape, sexual trafficking and other crimes against women," she said.
The controversy over rape has been revived in this country by Ecuador's decision to grant political asylum to the WikiLeaks founder, Julian Assange, who is wanted for questioning by the Swedish police for alleged sexual crimes. He has been defended by the Respect MP, George Galloway, who claimed that, in sexual intercourse, "not everybody needs to be asked prior to each insertion". In the US, Congressman Todd Akin claimed women who are raped have a biological mechanism that prevents pregnancy. "Women are fed up with male politicians diminishing, dismissing and demeaning the horrific crime of rape," Ms Mensch wrote.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£110 - £135 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Teaching opportunites in t...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary Teaching opp...