Veteran left-wing politician and activist Tony Benn is reportedly 'seriously ill' in hospital.
The former Labour cabinet minister, 88, was taken to hospital over the weekend and has spent four nights on an NHS ward.
A spokesman for his family said: "Tony Benn was taken to hospital on Saturday evening after feeling unwell. He is currently receiving treatment."
Mr Benn first entered parliament in November 1950 and served in the cabinet under Harold Wilson and Jim Callaghan. He narrowly missed out on election as Labour deputy leader in 1981, and was instrumental in party's 1983 manifesto.
The wit and wisdom of Tony Benn
The wit and wisdom of Tony Benn
1/15 Tony Benn Quotes
1. Making mistakes is part of life. The only things I would feel ashamed of would be if I had said things I hadn't believed in order to get on. Some politicians do do that.
2/15 Tony Benn Quotes
2. All war represents a failure of diplomacy.
3/15 Tony Benn Quotes
3. The Marxist analysis has got nothing to do with what happened in Stalin's Russia: it's like blaming Jesus Christ for the Inquisition in Spain.
4/15 Tony Benn Quotes
4. Broadcasting is really too important to be left to the broadcasters.
5/15 Tony Benn Quotes
5. The one thing that is absolutely essential is that there shouldn't be any governmental control [of the media] directly or indirectly.
6/15 Tony Benn Quotes
6. I've had a very full life, and I've enjoyed it very much. I've learned a great deal and feel indebted to all the people who have worked so hard.
7/15 Tony Benn Quotes
7. I see myself as an old man and an unqualified teacher to the nation. I think being a teacher is probably the most important thing you can be in politics.
8/15 Tony Benn Quotes
8. A faith is something you die for, a doctrine is something you kill for. There is all the difference in the world.
9/15 Tony Benn Quotes
9. I've got four lovely children, ten lovely grandchildren, and I left parliament to devote more time to politics, and I think that what is really going on in Britain is a growing sense of alienation. People don't feel anyone listens to them.
10/15 Tony Benn Quotes
10. I do not share the general view that market forces are the basis of personal liberty.
11/15 Tony Benn Quotes
11. "Parliament is the buckle that links the street to the statute book."
12/15 Tony Benn Quotes
12. "The Labour party has never been a socialist party, although there have always been socialists in it - a bit like Christians in the Church of England."
13/15 Tony Benn Quotes
13. "I think New Labour is probably over."
14/15 Tony Benn Quotes
14. "All progress comes from underneath. All real achievements are collective."
15/15 Tony Benn Quotes
15. "You can't create democracy by invasion."
In 2001 Mr Benn stepped down from parliament in order to 'spend more time on politics'.
He has remained an active and outspoken member of the Labour party. In recent years he has been a central member of the anti-war movement.
He recently moved into sheltered accommodation near his home in Holland Park, London, following a stroke last year.
His most recent public appearance was in December when he spoke at a service remembering Nelson Mandela.