Westminster clear in sight for Ukip after Eastleigh second place, says Nigel Farage
Nigel Farage, the Ukip leader, insisted the party was in sight of winning its first Westminster seat after it came within 1,800 votes of pulling off a sensational victory at Eastleigh.
The party has now achieved three by-election second places in three months and picked up a record 27.8 per cent share of the vote in the battle for the Hampshire seat.
Although he denied it today, Mr Farage must be reflecting whether he could have clinched victory had he been the party’s candidate.
He said: “In by-elections to come, we will achieve victories. This is just not some mid-term protest as David Cameron tries to say. This is a clear, defined trend.”
Mr Farage has set its sights on winning the most votes and picking up the most seats in next year’s European elections.
He hit back at Conservative accusations that Ukip’s soaring support is an “anti-politics” vote that will return to the established parties at the next election.
Mr Farage said his party “really connected” with the electorate on many issues and not just opposition to the European Union.
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This leading supplier of compliance software a...
£24000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Associate System Engineer r...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Executive Assistant is required to join a l...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...