'Why I can't give Gordon Brown a job'
Ed Miliband is resisting calls for him to find a job for his predecessor, Gordon Brown, amid growing complaints that the former prime minister should be given "a big role" after two years on the sidelines.
The Labour leader maintained that he did not have the powers to give Mr Brown a job – but said he could help out in the referendum campaign in Scotland.
Senior Labour MPs argue Mr Brown could be given a role helping fight poverty in Africa. But Mr Miliband told the IoS: "I don't think jobs are in my gift really, but I think he'll be an important part of the referendum campaign in Scotland.
"I think his voice will be important in that, there is huge respect and admiration for him in Scotland, and I think he can be an important part of that campaign."
- 1 Emma Watson on Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak: 'Even worse than seeing women's privacy violated is reading the comments'
- 2 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Cee Lo Green: It is only rape if the victim is conscious
- 5 Katie Hopkins breaks down in tears over weight gain challenge: ‘I hate fat people for making me do this’
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain
£30000 - £45000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: Front-Of...
£700 per day: Harrington Starr: Quantitative Developer C++, Python, STL, R, PD...
£700 per day: Harrington Starr: Java/Calypso Developer Java, Calypso, J2EE, J...
£500 per day: Harrington Starr: SQL Developer SQL, C#, Stored Procedures, MDX...