Poorest families 14% worse off
Thursday 01 July 1993
The figures revealed in the annual Households Below Average Incomes survey showed a staggering decline in incomes of the poorest households, Donald Dewar, Labour's social security spokesman, said. 'The poor have got poorer under the Conservatives. While average incomes for the population as a whole have risen by more than a third, the poor have seen their incomes fall in real terms. Inequalities have widened and the poor have received a declining share of national income.'
According to Labour's analysis of the figures, the poorest 10 per cent saw their share of the national income almost halved from 4 per cent in 1979 to 2.1 per cent in 1990-91; and the poorest half saw their share fall from 32 per cent to 25 per cent.
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior Data Sc...
Highly Attractive Salary: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - This is a very unusual law c...
£28000 - £30000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Junior VB.NET ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Web De...