RCN warning on paediatric care
Tuesday 12 April 1994
The findings, published by the Royal College of Nursing, confound government guidelines which state that at least two registered sick children's nurses should be on duty at paediatric wards 24 hours a day.
The RCN said that, all too often, this was not the case and that the events at the Grantham and Kesteven General Hospital, Lincolnshire - where Beverley Allitt, who killed four children, was employed - showed management failings which are mirrored across Britain.
The report, Care of Sick Children, calls for the Department of Health's guidance on the welfare of children in hospital to be implemented and warns: 'We must learn the lessons of the Beverley Allitt tragedy . . . serial killers are very rare but the conditions in which mistakes and poor practice can flourish are not.'
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CHESHIRE MARKET TOWN - An exciting and rare o...
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE - SENIOR POSITION - An exciti...
£29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Gas Installation Engineer is required ...
£28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Domestic Gas Technical Surveyor is req...