Scots try to ban Major interview
Monday 03 April 1995
BY JOHN ARLIDGE
Scotland's Labour and Liberal Democrat leaders will today take legal action to force the BBC to abandon plans to screen the Panorama interview with John Major tonight.
They say the interview contravenes the Representation of the People Act and the Corporation's internal guidelines on election coverage because it comes three days before local elections north of the border. Broadcasters are required to maintain balanced coverage in the run-up to all elections.
At the Court of Session in Edinburgh, Scotland's highest civil court, counsel for the two parties will argue that the interview is illegal and ask a judge to grant an interim interdict banning its screening north of the border until after Thursday's poll.
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
30,000 reasons why the rhetoric on immigrants claiming benefits can stop now
£38000 - £42000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's best performing...
£35000 - £43000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Our award-winning client is one...
£15000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of Atlas ...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Opportunity to join established...