'Scream' lawyer pulls out
Tuesday 08 March 1994
THE Norwegian solicitor who represented a client making a ransom demand for Edvard Munch's The Scream, stolen last month from the National Gallery in Oslo, has dropped the case, writes Dalya Alberge.
Tor Erling Staff, the Oslo solicitor, said: 'I am not negotiating any more.' His decision follows a meeting on Sunday night with Jens Kristien Thune, chairman of the gallery board. Mr Staff said the gallery board had refused to accept his client's 'requirements' _ to make 700,000 available by noon today. Mr Staff maintains that his client did not steal the painting and does not have it in his possession, but that he is able to return it against payment.
Mr Thune said the National Gallery 'could never accept the amount', particularly as a request for proof of possession was rejected. 'As long as we are not sure they have it, we can't negotiate. But if they wanted further discussion, I was ready.'
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£34999 - £43001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top 10 firm in ...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Software E...
£45000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Java In...
£40000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Senior ...