As many as 100 people have been evacuated from the Shard after a fire broke out in a restaurant's kitchen.
Diners and staff were evacuated from the building after an oven caught fire in one of the Shard's restaurants on the 33rd floor, on St Thomas Street in Southwark at 10.30am on Tuesday morning.
The building's staff evacuated around 100 customers from restaurants on the 31st, 32nd and 33rd floors and there were no reported injuries. The remainder of the building - the tallest in London - was unaffected by the fire.
A spokesperson for the Shard said that a "small oven fire in one restaurant immediately set off the sprinkler system." They emphasised that it was only the dining facilities that had been evacuated and that the fire service attend "as per standard procedure."
7 or 8 fire engines now at the base of the Shard and what looks like water dribbling down the side of the building pic.twitter.com/aaOMmfeGUo— Thom Rawlinson (@ThomRawlinson) August 4, 2015
Just had to walk 245m down stairs because there was a fire alarm at the shard and all the lifts were broken— Katie Buckley (@_KatieBuckley) August 4, 2015
Just stuck at the top of the Shard while a fire was kicking off down stairs. Must have been 1300 stairs down the fire escape. #legday— Matthew Gundel (@matthewgundel) August 4, 2015
Seven fire engines and 35 fire fighters attended the incident, which was successfully controlled by the building's sprinkler system.Reuse content