Shipwreck china to fetch £1m
Wednesday 25 January 1995
The china was found intact in the hold of the Diana, which went aground off Malyasia. For 174 years the wreck lay almost forgotten, until the marine salvage company Malaysian Historical Salvors was issued a licence in 1991 to search for it.
In December last year the company located the ship, her cargo submerged in mud but intact inside the rice husks in which it had been packed.
The first plate, covered with coral, was brought to the surface five days before Christmas, followed by an array of formal china - dinner services, tureens, fruit baskets and coffee cups. Apparently protected by the mud, they were all unbroken. They willbe sold at Christie's in March.
A highlight will be 200 pieces from the official dinner service of the East India Company, expected to fetch £1,500 each.
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Greece debt crisis explained: A history of just how the country landed itself in such a mess
- 3 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 4 Greek debt crisis: Yanis Varoufakis's funniest (and most memorable) quotes
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
£16000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are looking for individual...
£25000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Project Coordinator is requir...
£40000 - £95000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£20000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Trainee Vehicle Inspectors / Pu...