Smith calls off meetings after injury to ankle
Monday 11 April 1994
He injured himself while climbing in the Scottish Highlands last Wednesday.
Mr Smith, 55, was due to visit a farm at Beccles, Suffolk, today, followed by a news conference in Lowestoft and meetings in Great Yarmouth and Ipswich. He will be unable to attend the House of Commons this week.
In 1988, Mr Smith suffered a heart attack from which he appears to have made a complete recovery. Since his illness, he has taken to climbing - particularly the mountains higher than 3,000ft, the Munros.
He slipped in the snow while climbing his 108th Munro, Eididh nan Clach Geala, in Wester Ross.
A spokeswoman said: 'After he did it he continued to walk three or four miles further on. And on Friday, not realising the damage that had been done, he carried out a number of engagements in his constituency.'
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >
Very Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE NQ to MID LEVEL - An e...
Highly Attractive Pakage: Austen Lloyd: MANCHESTER - A highly attractive oppor...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager (Campaigns, Offlin...
£90000 - £135000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Marketing (B2C, Acquisition...