Solicitor stole pounds 930,000 from clients' accounts
Friday 24 July 1992
Michael Grant, 36, will spend the term at Ford open prison, West Sussex, where he is serving a 30-month sentence for a pounds 1.7m mortgage fraud.
Judge Geoffrey Rivlin said at Southwark Crown Court that between November 1988 and September 1990, Grant had 'raided' client accounts and taken more than pounds 930,000. But through loans and repayments he had reduced that figure to pounds 677,000. Staff at his firm, Michael A Grant and Co, which had three London offices, had confronted him in an attempt to turn off 'a flood of dishonesty', but to no avail.
Grant, who had an extravagant way of life, had continued to 'lie and cheat' until his eventual arrest.
The court was told that Grant was 'hopelessly in debt' when the thefts were discovered. A Law Society indemnity fund would have to pay a total of pounds 2m because of his actions.
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This leading supplier of compliance software a...
£24000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Associate System Engineer r...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Executive Assistant is required to join a l...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...