Stable lads awarded first pay rise for two years
Wednesday 02 February 1994
Yet today is a day of cheer for stable lads like this (right), washing one of his charges at the Carlburg Stables in Newmarket, Suffolk, where Clive Brittain trains racehorses. They have been awarded a 5 per cent pay rise - their first increase for two years.
Not all were pleased. The married lads (and lasses) complained that it was not enough, but the single lads seemed generally happy with the news.
The rise takes the minimum rate for the average lad from pounds 129.46 to pounds 135.93 for a 40-hour week.
Peter Moore, a lad for 20 years, told the Racing Post earlier this month: 'People on the dole wouldn't get out of bed for the money we get. It is just liveable on the breadline.'
Not something to unduly worry the gin and tonic brigade in the Royal Enclosure.
Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
More than 200 flights delayed and cancelled at Heathrow as air traffic control problem affects airports across Britain
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£34999 - £43001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top 10 firm in ...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Software E...
£45000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Java In...
£40000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Senior ...