The British Service Personnel who lost their lives in Iraq
A roll call of the 179 British personnel to have died on service during Operation Telic since the US-led invasion of Iraq in March 2003
Friday 01 May 2009
- Captain Philip Guy, 29, of Skipton, North Yorkshire. Royal Marines.
- Naval Rating Ian Seymour, of Poole, Dorset. 148 Commando Battery Royal Artillery.
- Warrant Officer Second Class Mark Stratford, 39, of Plymouth. Royal Marines.
- Marine Sholto Hedenskog, 26, of Cape Town, South Africa. Royal Marines.
- Lance Bombardier Llywelyn Evans, 24, of Llandudno, North Wales. 29 Commando Regiment Royal Artillery.
- Colour Sgt John Cecil, 35, of Plymouth. Royal Marines.
- Major Jason Ward, 34, of Torquay. UK Landing Force Command Support Group. Royal Marines.
- Sergeant Les Hehir, 34, of Poole, Dorset. 29 Commando Regiment Royal Artillery.
- Lieutenant Philip Green, 31, of Caythorpe, Lincolnshire. 849 Squadron, RNAS Culdrose.
- Lieutenant Tony King, 35, of Helston, Cornwall. 849 Squadron, RNAS Culdrose.
- Lieutenant James Williams, 28, of Falmouth, Cornwall. 849 Squadron, RNAS Culdrose.
- Lieutenant Philip West, 32, of Budock Water, Cornwall. 849 Squadron, RNAS Culdrose.
- Lieutenant Marc Lawrence, 26, of Westgate-on-Sea, Kent. 849 Squadron, RNAS Culdrose.
- Lieutenant Andrew Wilson, 36, of Exeter. 849 Squadron, RNAS Culdrose.
- Flight Lt Kevin Main, pilot. 9 Squadron. RAF.
- Flight Lt Dave Williams, navigator. 9 Squadron. RAF.
- Sapper Luke Allsopp, 24, of north London. 33 (EOD) Engineer Regiment, Royal Engineers.
- Staff Sergeant Simon Cullingworth, 36, of Essex. 33 (EOD) Engineer Regiment, Royal Engineers.
- Sergeant Steven Roberts, 33, of Bradford, West Yorkshire. 2nd Royal Tank Regiment.
- Lance Corporal Barry Stephen, 31, of Perth. 1st Battalion The Black Watch.
- Corporal Stephen John Allbutt, 35, of Stoke-on-Trent. Queen's Royal Lancers.
- Trooper David Clarke, 19, of Littleworth, Staffordshire. Queen's Royal Lancers.
- Lance Corporal of Horse Matty Hull, 25, of Windsor. The Blues & Royals, Household Cavalry Regiment.
- Royal Marine Christopher Maddison, 24, of Scarborough. 9 Assault Squadron Royal Marines.
- Lance Corporal Shaun Brierley, 28, of West Yorkshire. 212 Signal Squadron, 1 (UK) Armoured Division HQ & Signal Regiment.
- Major Stephen Alexis Ballard, 33, of Swindon. 3 Commando Brigade, Royal Marines.
- Staff Sergeant Chris Muir, 32, of Romsey, Hampshire. Army School of Ammunition, Royal Logistic Corps.
- Lance Corporal Karl Shearer, 24, of Windsor. Household Cavalry Regiment.
- Kelan John Turrington, 18, of Cambridgeshire. Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.
- Lance Corporal Ian Malone, of Dublin, 28. 1st Battalion the Irish Guards.
- Piper Christopher Muzvuru, 21, of Zimbabwe. 1st Battalion the Irish Guards.
- Lt Alexander Tweedie, 25, of Hawick, Scottish Borders. The Blues and Royals, Household Cavalry Regiment.
- Lance Corporal James McCue, 27, of Paisley. 7 Air Assault Battalion Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers.
- Private Andrew Kelly, 18, of Tavistock, Devon. 3rd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment.
- Gunner Duncan Pritchard, 22 of Honington, Suffolk. 16 Squadron, RAF Regiment.
- Corporal David Shepherd, 34. Royal Air Force Police. Died in Kuwait while serving on Operation Telic.
- Leonard Harvey, 55, based at Wattisham, Suffolk. Defence Fire Service.
- Sergeant Simon Alexander Hamilton-Jewell, 41, of Chessington, Surrey. Royal Military Police.
- Corporal Russell Aston, 30, of Swadlincote, Derbyshire. Royal Military Police.
- Corporal Paul Graham Long, 24, of Colchester, Essex. Royal Military Police.
- Corporal Simon Miller, 21, of Washington, Tyne & Wear. Royal Military Police.
- Lance-Corporal Benjamin John McGowan Hyde, 23, of Northallerton, North Yorks. Royal Military Police.
- Lance-Corporal Thomas Richard Keys, 20, of Llanuwchllyn, near Bala in Wales. Royal Military Police.
- Captain James Linton, 43, of Warminster. 40 Field Regiment, Royal Artillery.
- Private Jason Smith, 32, of Hawick in the Scottish borders. Territorial Army soldier serving with 52nd Lowland Regiment attached to the 1st Battalion, The King's Own Scottish Borderers.
- Captain David Jones, 29, of Louth, Lincolnshire. Queen's Lancashire Regiment.
- Major Matthew Titchener, 32, of Southport, Merseyside. Royal Military Police.
- Warrant Officer Colin Wall, 34, of Crawleyside, County Durham. Royal Military Police.
- Corporal Dewi Pritchard, 35, of Bridgend. Territorial Army, serving with Royal Military Police.
- Fusilier Russell Beeston, 26, of Glasgow. Territorial Army, attached to the 1st Battalion King's Own Scottish Borderers.
- Sergeant John Nightingale, 32, of Leeds. Territorial Army, serving with Royal Logistic Corps.
- Corporal Ian Plank, 31, of Poole, Dorset. Royal Marines.
- Private Ryan Thomas, 18, of Resolven, Glamorgan. 1st Battalion, Royal Regiment of Wales.
- Major James Stenner, 30, of Monmouthshire. Welsh Guards.
- Sergeant Norman Patterson, 28, of Staffordshire. Cheshire Regiment.
- Lance Corporal Andrew James Craw, 21, of Clackmannanshire. Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders.
- Rifleman Vincent Windsor, 23, of Oxfordshire. 2nd Battalion, Royal Green Jackets.
- Sapper Robert Thomson, 22, of West Lothian. Royal Engineers.
- Corporal Richard Ivell, 29, of Doncaster. Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers.
- Fusilier Gordon Gentle, 19, of Glasgow. Royal Highland Fusiliers.
- Flight Lieutenant Kristian Gover, 30, based at RAF Benson, Oxfordshire. 33 Squadron RAF.
- Private Christopher Rayment, 22, of London. 1st Battalion, The Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment.
- Private Lee O'Callaghan, 20, of London. 1st Battalion, Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment.
- Private Marc Ferns, 21, of Glenrothes, Fife. 1st Battalion, The Black Watch.
- Lance Corporal Paul Thomas, 29, of Welshpool. 2nd Battalion, The Light Infantry.
- Fusilier Stephen Jones, 22, of Denbigh. 1st Battalion The Royal Welch Fusiliers.
- Corporal Marc Taylor, 27, of Ellesmere Port. Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers.
- Gunner David Lawrence, 25, of Walsall. 1st Regiment Royal Horse Artillery.
- Private Kevin Thomas McHale, 27, of Lochgelly, Fife. 1st Battalion, The Black Watch.
- Staff Sergeant Denise Rose, 34, of Liverpool. Royal Military Police.
- Private Paul Lowe, 19, of Fife. 1st Battalion, The Black Watch.
- Sergeant Stuart Gray, 31, of Dunfermline. 1st Battalion, The Black Watch.
- Private Scott McArdle, 22, of Glenrothes. 1st Battalion, The Black Watch.
- Private Pita Tukatukawaqa, 27, of Fiji. 1st Battalion, The Black Watch.
- Acting Chief Petty Officer Simon Owen, 38, of Plymouth. HMS Chatham.
- Sergeant Paul Connolly, 33, of Crawley. Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers.
- Squadron Leader Patrick Marshall, 39, of High Wycombe. RAF, Headquarters Strike Command.
- Flight Lieutenant David Stead, 35, of Yorkshire. 47 Squadron RAF.
- Andrew Smith, 25, of Doncaster. 47 Squadron RAF.
- Paul Pardoel, 35, born in Melbourne, Australia. 47 Squadron RAF.
- Master Engineer Gary Nicholson, 42 of Hull. 47 Squadron RAF.
- Chief Technician Richard Brown, 40, of Devon. 47 Squadron RAF.
- Flight Sergeant Mark Gibson, 34, of York. 47 Squadron, RAF.
- Sergeant Robert O'Connor, 38. Engineering Wing, RAF Lyneham.
- Corporal David Williams, 37. Engineering Wing, RAF Lyneham
- Acting Lance Corporal Steven Jones, 25 of Fareham, Hampshire. Royal Signals.
- Private Mark Dobson, 41, of County Durham. B (Green Howards) Company, Tyne-Tees Regiment.
- Guardsman Anthony Wakefield, 24, of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. 1st Battalion The Coldstream Guards
- Lance Corporal Brackenbury, 21, of East Yorkshire. King's Royal Hussars.
- Signaller Paul William Didsbury, 18, of Blackpool. 21st Signal Regiment (Air Support)
- Second Lieutenant Richard Shearer, 26, of Nuneaton. 1st Battalion, The Staffordshire Regiment.
- Private Phillip Hewett, 21, of Tamworth. 1st Battalion, The Staffordshire Regiment.
- Private Leon Spicer, 26, of Tamworth. 1st Battalion, The Staffordshire Regiment.
- Fusilier Donal Meade, 20, of London. Born on Montserrat. 2nd Battalion, the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.
- Fusilier Stephen Manning, 22, of Erith, Kent. 2nd Battalion, the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.
- Major Matthew Bacon, 34, of London. Intelligence Corps.
- Captain Ken Masters, 40. Royal Military Police.
- Sergeant Chris Hickey, 30, of Bradford. 1st Battalion, the Coldstream Guards.
- Sergeant John Jones, 31, of Birmingham. 1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.
- Lance Corporal Allan Douglas, 22, of Aberdeen. Highlanders (Seaforth, Gordons and Camerons).
- Corporal Gordon Pritchard, 31, of Edinburgh. Royal Scots Dragoon Guards.
- Trooper Carl Smith, 23, of Kettering. 9th/12th Royal Lancers (Prince of Wales's).
- Captain Richard Holmes, 28 of Winchester. 2nd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment.
- Private Lee Ellis, 23, of Wythenshawe. 2nd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment.
- Lieutenant Richard Palmer, 27, of Ware, Hertfordshire. Royal Scots Dragoon Guards.
- Flight Lieutenant Sarah-Jayne Mulvihill, 32, of Canterbury. 28 (Army Co-operation) Squadron RAF.
- Wing Commander John Coxen, 47, of Liverpool. 28 (Army Co-operation) Squadron RAF.
- Lieutenant Commander Darren Chapman, 40, of Yeovilton. Commanding Officer, 847 Naval Air Squadron.
- Captain David Dobson, 27, of Yeovilton. Army Air Corps, serving with 847 Naval Air Squadron.
- Marine Paul Collins, 21, of of Yeovilton. 847 Naval Air Squadron.
- Private Joseva Lewaicei, 25, of Lautoka Fiji. 2nd Battalion, The Royal Anglian Regiment.
- Private Adam Morris, 19, of Leicester. 2nd Battalion, The Royal Anglian Regiment.
- Lieutenant Tom Mildinhall, 26, of London. Queen's Dragoon Guards.
- Lance Corporal Paul Farrelly, 27, of Runcorn, Cheshire. Queen's Dragoon Guards.
- Corporal John Cosby, 28, born in Belfast and grew up in Exeter. 1st Battalion The Devonshire and Dorset Light Infantry (1DDLI).
- Corporal Matthew Cornish, 29, of Pool-in-Wharfedale, Yorkshire. 1st Battalion The Light Infantry.
- Gunner Samuela Vanua, 27, of Fiji. 12 Regiment Royal Artillery.
- Gunner Stephen Robert Wright, 20, of Leyland. 12 Regiment Royal Artillery.
- Gunner Lee Thornton, 22, of Blackpool. 12 Regiment Royal Artillery.
- Lance Corporal Dennis Brady, 37 of Barrow-in-Furness. Royal Army Medical Corps.
- Lieutenant Tom Tanswell, 27, of London. 12 Regiment Royal Artillery.
- Kingsman Jamie Hancock, 19 of Wigan. 2nd Battalion, The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment.
- Staff Sergeant Sharron Elliott, 34, of Ipswich. Intelligence Corps.
- Warrant Officer Class 2 Lee Hopkins, 35, of Wellingborough. Royal Corps of Signals.
- Marine Jason Hylton, 33, of Burton on Trent. 539 Assault Squadron Royal Marines.
- Corporal Ben Nowak, 27, of Liverpool. 45 Commando Royal Marines.
- Sergeant Jonathan Hollingsworth. 3rd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment.
- Sergeant Graham Hesketh, 35, of Runcorn. 2nd Battalion The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment.
- Sergeant Wayne Rees, 36, of Nottingham. The Queen's Royal Lancers.
- Kingsman Alex Green, 21, of Warrington. 2nd Battalion The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment.
- Private Michael Tench, 18, of Sunderland. 2nd Battalion the Light Infantry.
- Second Lieutenant Jonathan Carlos Bracho-Cooke, 24, of Hove, East Sussex. 2nd Battalion The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment.
- Private Luke Simpson, 21, of Howden, East Yorkshire. 1st Battalion, The Yorkshire Regiment.
- Rifleman Daniel Lee Coffey, 21 of Exeter. Second Battalion, The Rifles.
- Private Jonathon Dany Wysoczan, 21, of Stoke-on-Trent. 1st Battalion, The Staffordshire Regiment.
- Kingsman Danny Wilson, 28, of Workington. 2nd Battalion, The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment.
- Rifleman Aaron Lincoln, 18, of Durham. 2nd Battalion, The Rifles.
- Second Lieutenant Joanna Yorke Dyer, 24, of Yeovil. 2nd Battalion The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment.
- Corporal Kris O'Neill, 27, of Catterick. Royal Army Medical Corps.
- Private Eleanor Dlugosz, 19, of Southampton. Royal Army Medical Corps.
- Kingsman Adam Smith, 19, of Liverpool. 2nd Battalion The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment.
- Sergeant Mark McLaren, 27, of Ashington, Northumberland. 230 Squadron, RAF.
- Colour Sergeant Mark Powell, 37, of South Wales. The Parachute Regiment.
- Corporal Ben Leaning, 24, of Scunthorpe. The Queen's Royal Lancers.
- Trooper Kristen Turton, 27, of Grimsby. The Queen's Royal Lancers.
- Kingsman Alan Jones, 20 of Liverpool. 2nd Battalion The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment.
- Rifleman Paul Donnachie, 18, of Reading. 2nd Battalion the Rifles.
- Major Nick Bateson, 49, of Chislehurst, Kent. Corps of Royal Signals.
- Private Kevin Thompson, 21, of Lancaster. Royal Logistic Corps.
- Corporal Jeremy Brookes, 28, of Birmingham. 4th Battalion, The Rifles.
- Corporal Rodney Wilson, 30, born in Rinteln, Germany. 4th Battalion The Rifles.
- Lance Corporal James Cartwright, 21, of London. 2nd Royal Tank Regiment.
- Major Paul Harding, 48, of Winchester. 4th Battalion, The Rifles.
- Corporal John Rigby, 24, of Rye, East Sussex. 4th Battalion, The Rifles.
- Private Scott Kennedy, 20, of Oakley, Dunfermline. Black Watch, 3rd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland.
- Private James Kerr, 20 of Cowdenbeath. Black Watch, 3rd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland.
- Corporal Paul Joszko, 28, of Mountain Ash, Wales. 2nd Battalion, The Royal Welsh.
- Rifleman Edward Vakabua, 23, of Fiji. 4th Battalion The Rifles.
- Lance Corporal Ryan Francis, 23, of Llanelli. 2nd Battalion The Royal Welsh.
- Corporal Christopher Read, 22, of Poole in Dorset. 3rd Regiment, Royal Military Police.
- Senior Aircraftsman Matthew Caulwell, 22, of Birmingham. 1 Squadron RAF Regiment.
- Senior Aircraftsman Peter McFerran, 24, of Connah's Quay, Flintshire, north Wales. 1 Squadron RAF Regiment.
- Senior Aircraftsman Christopher Dunsmore, 29, of Leicester. 504 Squadron Royal Auxiliary Air Force Regiment.
- Lance Corporal Timothy Flowers, 25, of Northern Ireland. Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers.
- Corporal Steve Edwards, 35, of Thrapston, Northamptonshire. 2nd Royal Tank Regiment.
- Private Craig Barber, 20, of Ogmore Vale. 2nd Battalion, The Royal Welsh.
- Leading Aircraftman Martin Beard, 20, of Rainworth, Nottinghamshire. No 1 Squadron Royal Air Force Regiment.
- Lance Sergeant Chris Casey, 27, of London. 1st Battalion, Irish Guards.
- Lance Corporal Kirk Redpath, 22 of Romford. 1st Battalion, Irish Guards.
- Sergeant Eddie Collins, 33. Parachute Regiment.
- Sergeant Mark Stansfield, 32, of Oxfordshire. UK Logistic Battalion.
- Lance Corporal Sarah Holmes 26, of Wantage, Oxfordshire. 29 Postal Courier and Movement Regiment.
- Lee Fitzsimmons and an unnamed British soldier were killed in an RAF Puma helicopter crash near Baghdad.
- Guardsman Stephen Ferguson, 31, of Lanarkshire, Scotland. 1st Battalion Scots Guards.
- Sergeant Duane "Baz" Barwood, 41, of Carterton in Oxfordshire. Attached to 903 Expeditionary Air Wing, RAF.
- An unnamed British soldier was killed in a firefight in Baghdad.
- Lance Corporal David Kenneth Wilson, 27, of Huddersfield. 9 Regiment Army Air Corps.
- Corporal Lee Churcher, 32, of Nuneaton. 20th Armoured Brigade.
- Private Ryan Wrathall, 21, of Surbiton. 1st Battalion The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment.
- 3 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
Ball pool for adults opens in London
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
£40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A reputable organisation within the leisure i...
£90 - £140 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: I am currently working in partnersh...
£96000 - £200000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Looking for a better earning p...
£32000 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A rapidly expanding company in ...