The Daily Poem: Ecce Homo
Wednesday 22 December 1993
John Hewitt was born in Belfast in 1907, and was educated at Methodist College Belfast and Queen's University Belfast. His poetry was first published in left-wing journals such as the Irishman and the New Leader in the 1920s. His collections include; Mosaic (1981), Loose Ends (1983), Freehold and Other Poems (1986). This poem originally appeared in Scissors For A One-Armed Tailor: Marginal Verses 1929-1954 (1974) and now appears in The Collected Poems of John Hewitt edited by Frank Ormsby and published by Blackstaff Press at pounds 14.95.
- 1 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
- 4 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News
- 5 #AskNigelFarage: Twitter starts hilarious Q&A for Ukip leader
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Tony Blair 'says Ed Miliband will lose 2015 general election'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Putin: The US is to blame for almost all the world's major conflicts
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for spe...
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£35000 - £40000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...