The Daily Poem: Oslo
Monday 30 August 1993
Carol Ann Duffy was born in Glasgow in 1955. She has lived in Staffordshire, Liverpool and London, where she now works as a freelance writer. Her many awards include first prize in the 1983 National Poetry Competition, Scottish Arts Council Book Awards of Merit for her first collection, Standing Female Nude (Anvil, 1985) and her third, The Other Country (Anvil, 1990), a Somerset Maugham Award in 1988, the Dylan Thomas Award for 1989 and a Cholmondeley Award in 1992. This poem appears in Mean Time published by Anvil at pounds 6.95.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Ten best places to live in the UK: Solihull comes top
Paul Walker autopsy: Results reveal Fast and Furious star's cause of death
Mysterious glowing ‘alien-like creature’ spotted in waters of Bristol Harbour. A jellyfish - or something fishy?
From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Nelson Mandela life story: An unconquerable spirit
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 Video: Students 'punched and dragged to the ground by their hair' as police break up demonstration
£35000 - £38000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: VB.NET SQL CSS Develop...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...
£21000 - £25000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Graduate QA/Graduate T...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: PHP Developer (MySQL, ...