A suicidal mother leads children to their deaths

Click to follow

The husband of Navjeet Sidhu, who died after flinging herself into the path of a 100mph Heathrow Express train clutching her children, spoke of his "tragic loss" yesterday and the love he has for his wife and children.

Manjit Sidhu went to the station last Wednesday, frantically looking for his wife, five-year-old daughter, Simran, and 23-month-old son, Aman Raj. He arrived to find an empty pushchair on the platform. He found Aman lying injured on the line. The boy later died in hospital.

Mr Sidhu said: "I am trying to cope with the tragic loss of my family whom I love so dearly. I miss them immensely and am in a lot of pain. I want to thank everyone who has shown their love and support at this dark moment of my life. To my darling wife and kids, all I can say is that I love you with all my heart and I know that one day we will be together forever."

The Sidhu family said in a statement: "Navjeet was a loving daughter, good mother and adoring wife. Her pleasant and warm nature made her popular with everyone.

"Simran and Aman were beautiful, happy children and will forever live on in our hearts. Losing them will leave a void that will never be filled. We have been devastated by this shocking and tragic event and are still trying to come to terms with it."

Yesterday, police released a CCTV image of Mrs Sidhu, 27, entering Southall station with her children, minutes before their death. In contrast, a picture first seen last night shows her two weeks before her death, smiling with her children on a weekend expedition to Skegness.

She was reportedly unhappy in her marriage, although neighbours have said the couple adored their children and would walk hand-in-hand through the Southall neighbourhood where they lived.

A week ago, she telephoned her husband to say that she was going "far away" and told staff at Southall station that she was taking her children to see the fast trains. Holding the younger child in her arms and gripping her daughter's hands, she jumped from the platform at 1.15pm.

Mrs Sidhu, who had reportedly told neighbours she was four months pregnant with her third child, was killed instantly, along with her daughter, Simran. After being discovered by his father, Aman was taken to Ealing Hospital where he died later of his injuries.

The young girl was identified through fingerprints and officers are hoping to positively identify her mother later today from dental records.

Officers are planning to stage a witness appeal at the station today, exactly one week after the tragedy, to help establish the exact movements of Mrs Sidhu and her children.