'Deep-fried lizard' in toddler's chips

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Fast food chain Burger King was today launching an investigation into claims that a deep-fried lizard was discovered in a two-year-old's portion of chips.

Fast food chain Burger King was today launching an investigation into claims that a deep-fried lizard was discovered in a two-year-old's portion of chips.

Toddler Toby Sharpe from Halifax, West Yorkshire, was tucking into his chicken nuggets and fries when he made the shocking discovery.

A Burger King spokeswoman said the company was alerted to the "foreign body" in some chips through its customer Careline.

She said: "Allegedly a customer found a foreign body in their food. We take all reports of this nature very seriously and investigate them all.

"No Burger King staff have actually seen it. As soon as we heard about it, we contacted the local environmental health office and we will conduct a full investigation into it."

Toby was travelling in the back of his aunt's car with his brother Ellis, five, when he spotted the tiny lizard.

He was so distraught that he was sick in the car, his aunt, Adele Coulter, 26, also of Halifax, said. She had taken the boys to a drive-thru as a treat after Ellis, who had broken his arm, had his cast taken off.

"Toby ate a few chips and then he just screamed and ended up being sick all over the car. It's put him off Burger King for life," she said.

"It happened on Monday and he was distraught. We'll never be going there again. There's been no apology, they just want us to send it to them for analysis.

"The boys are not so bad now, they even managed to have a bit of a joke about it, but at the time it was awful. I had the fright of my life," she added.

Comments