Ealing bomb suspect revealed in CCTV footage

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Scotland Yard's Anti-Terrorist Branch released pictures on Monday of the man they suspect is the Ealing bomber. While his image is indistinct, detectives hope the footage will jog memories.

Film from closed-circuit television cameras shows the grey Saab, packed with explosives, being left in the street near several pubs. During the hour it was left parked in the Broadway in Ealing, west London, late last Thursday night, many people passed by, unaware of its deadly contents. The film shows the bomb exploding into a huge fireball.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Alan Fry, head of the anti-terrorist branch, said it was "incredibly lucky" that no one had been close to the vehicle when it exploded.

Shortly after the car was left, a man police believe is the bomber is seen walking down the mall towards Ealing Common. Outside the Royal Food and Wine Shop, he appears to brush past two men.

"It looks as if they almost bump into each. There may have been something said between them. It looks like he almost bumped into someone and someone said 'look where you are going'," Mr Fry said.

The two people then walk in the opposite direction to the suspect, who is wearing a dark, short-sleeved shirt, darkish trousers and a dark baseball cap with a white motif on the front. Hekeeps his head down as he passes the camera.

Mr Fry said: "I would not expect anyone to be able to name the bomber from what we see here. I am hoping that it will trigger people's memories. This is not the breakthrough that we are looking for, that's still to come."

As the bomb explodes, a man is seen running through the smoke, apparently unharmed, trying to make a call on his mobile phone.

A "misleading" warning was telephoned to the police at 11.33pm, leaving them little time to act. Mr Fry said police were still investigating the timer used on the bomb.

The blast injured 11 people. The last person being treated at Ealing Hospital – a 28-year-old man who had surgery on his shoulder – was expected to be discharged last night.

Yesterday, about 500 business people and residents packed Ealing town hall, anxiously awaiting news of when they could return to their properties. The shops within the immediate vicinity of the bomb remained closed off as the anti-terrorist squad continued to search for clues.

But the outer cordon was lowered to allow owners to seethe devastation wreaked on their properties and to begin the depressing task of sifting through the debris.

Comments