Half-price council tax for second-home owners may be scrapped, says Meacher
Michael Meacher will propose scrapping tax breaks for second-home owners as part of the Government's drive to protect the countryside.
The Environment minister, who has a second home in the picture postcard village of Ampney Crucis in Gloucestershire, is planning to challenge ministerial colleagues with a plan to scrap 50 per cent discounts on council tax for about 500,000 owners of second homes in a rural White Paper.
Housing ministers have insisted that they have no plan to end the concession granted under the Tories and officials said last night that it was unlikely to be part of the forthcoming housing Green Paper. But Mr Meacher has told friends that the discounts, which are costing councils £164m a year, are "disgraceful and unjustifiable" and he would be raising it with colleagues.
Downing Street fears that curbing second homes could hit the middle-class voters. Mr Meacher caused consternation in the autumn when he floated the idea of using planning permission to curb second homes. But he has the backing of Labour MPs including Candy Atherton, who has many local people in her Falmouth and Camborne constituency who cannot afford homes because of the pressure on the market.
Some second-home owners can save around £500 on annual council tax bills. Those benefiting include many MPs who own homes in London in addition to properties in their constituencies. Cabinet ministers who have second homes include Jack Straw, the Home Secretary.
The taxpayer is having to compensate councils in areas such as the Cotswolds, Lake District, Peak District and the West Country, for the money it loses in local council tax receipts. Beverley Hughes, an Environment minister said: "If a local authority has a reduced tax base because it has a high proportion of dwellings subject to a discount ... it will receive more grant to compensate."
* Mr Meacher will defend the Government's "right to roam" legislation in the Countryside and Rights of Way Bill, which is due for a second reading in the Commons today. The Tory environment spokesman Damian Green yesterday signalled his party would oppose it and back the landowners. He said Conservatives believed the best solution to enhancing access was to improve footpaths rather than "just let people on to land regardless of the effect on animal and plant life".
- 1 Revolutionary lost Caravaggio painting 'Mary Magdalen in Ecstasy' identified
- 2 McKamey Manor: This 'extreme' haunted house is the stuff of nightmares
- 3 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 4 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 5 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
Putin accuses US of causing global instability
Eleven members of same family hospitalised after eating deadly pufferfish
FCKH8: YouTube reinstates provocative anti-sexism video showing young girls swearing
Phone-hacking: The Piers Morgan connection - Mirror admits some stories during Morgan's tenure may have been obtained by illegal means
Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are
Poppy Appeal 2014: This is why I won't be wearing a red poppy this year
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for spe...
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£35000 - £40000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...