Minor British Institutions: Grumbling
Saturday 16 July 2011
Grumbling is an ancient institution in these islands, with their many tribes, narrow confines and persistent arrivals: Iceni about Trinovantes, Britons about Romans, Angles about Saxons, Saxons about Normans, peasants about squires, lords about kings, wives about husbands, English about Scots, Irish, Welsh and all vice versa.
Along it has murmured, falling, rising, occasionally crashing into riot and ruction. The infrequency of the last is often attributed to the frequency of the first, the constant emission of steam easing the pressure. If ever there was an example of the famous British irony, it's the refrain: "mustn't grumble".
Much of our humour, from Shakespeare and before to Hancock to the Grumpy Old Men and Women, depends on it, well summed up by Mona Lott, the ever-grumbling charlady on the old radio show, ITMA: "It's being so cheerful as keeps me going". I often wonder how much there was as they pulled those stones to Stonehenge.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
- 1 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 2 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 3 Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
- 4 Cannabis can cause man boobs, US surgeon claims
- 5 Joanna Lumley’s garden bridge over the Thames gets £30m seal of approval from Government
£35000 - £38000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: VB.NET SQL CSS Develop...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...
£21000 - £25000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Graduate QA/Graduate T...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: PHP Developer (MySQL, ...