Missing: the workers who never came home

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Phil Beer, a Knightsbridge hair stylist, was on his way to work with his best friend, Patrick Barnes, when he was caught in the blast and has not been heard of since.

Stacy Beer, 24, said she had taken her brother and Mr Barnes to Elstree and Borehamwood station to catch a train to King's Cross at 8.10am.

From there they went on the Tube towards Russell Square. When she heard about the bombs she had sent a text message to Mr Barnes to make sure the pair were all right.

"At half past nine Pat phoned me, hysterical, to say that the bombs had gone off and he couldn't find Phil. He said he spoke to Phil after the explosion. He said, 'Are we going to die?' and Phil said, 'No, we are not going to die' and that was all the conversation they had."

Miss Beer said the family had phoned the hospitals and the helpline for relatives but had not had any news. "It's the wait that's the worst. There is nothing we can do," she said. "We are just trying anything we can, trying to get any information. It's awful. You think the worst but you just try and stay positive. We just feel completely emotionally drained."


She is thought to have taken a Piccadilly line train at 9am. Friends said she would have contacted them if she could.

Monika Suchocka 23, TRAINEE SOLICITOR

Ms Suchocka, from Poland, told her office she would be late, she was advised to catch the bus. She may have caught the No 30. Ms Suchocka had been travelling from her home in Archway, north London, to West Kensington. Her flatmate, Magdalena Donolelewska, said: "She would never go off and not call us. Something is very wrong. She told work she had to take a bus. She never arrived."

Laura Webb 29, DDB EUROPE

Laura Webb, who works for the advertising company DDB Europe, had left her home at Angel, north London, for Paddington.

Her family believe she would have changed on to a Hammersmith and City line Tube train at King's Cross, so she may have got caught up in the blast at Edgware Road.

Her relatives and friends spent Thursday night and yesterday touring hospitals in a vain search for her. Chris Driver, her partner, said the police and emergency services were being helpful.

He said: "She just went to work as normal but never turned up. She has definitely been involved in the bombings somehow. It is just absolutely impossible that she could have not got in touch otherwise. We have been to all the hospitals but everyone says that she's not on their books.

"Some of the hospitals have been really helpful and rung us back to see if we had found Laura yet. But all we can do is keep checking hospitals. I don't understand what can have happened. No one has any idea where she is."

Rebecca Driver, his sister, said: "It's her mum's birthday today and it would be the best present in the world if we could find her. She was hoping to come to Kingston-on-Thames this evening to see her mum."

Michelle Outto 46, DENTAL TECHNICIAN

Ms Outto would have been travelling from Mill Hill East to Knightsbridge. Trains had been diverted on the High Barnet branch of the Northern line to King's Cross because of a signal failure. Ms Outto may have been on the Piccadilly line train from King's Cross that was bombed. "Why can't they just tell us what's happening?", sobbed her friend, Diana Gorodi, before going back inside the Royal London hospital.


Jamie Gordon had been travelling from Euston to Old Street and rang his office from the Tavistock Square area at 9.42am to tell them that he was catching the bus.

When his girlfriend, Yvonne Nash, found out he was missing she traced his mobile phone to the scene of the No 30 blast.

Ms Nash, who works for Orange, found the handset lying in the road. She said: "It's been almost 24 hours. We just keep hitting brick walls. I just have to find him. I have to know what happened. You cannot sleep, cannot eat when you are that worried about somebody.

"We don't know where he is and we are just desperate to find out. We are just trying to keep going. Is he dead? Is he alive? Not knowing is dreadful." Ms Nash said Mr Gordon would not normally have taken that route to work, but had been staying with a friend on Wednesday night.

Mr Gordon, 37, born in Zimbabwe, worked as an administration assistant at City Asset Management, based in Old Street. His colleagues yesterday distributed posters of him around the area.

Tanya Dupreez, a colleague at City Asset Management, said: " He is just a lovely person - very friendly, very out going and just a larger than life personality who was always cracking jokes. He is the friendliest, loveliest person you could meet.

"At work everyone is helping to find him. Everyone has split up and is looking in different hospitals. We hope that someone has seen him."

Slimane Ihab 19, WAITER

A French waiter, Slimane Ihab, 19, of Paris, had been in England for just three weeks before he vanished.

He was believed to have boarded a Tube at Finsbury Park early on Thursday. Xavier Rebergue, a friend of Mr Ihab's family, said the teenager was working as a waiter at a restaurant in Piccadilly Circus. He said that Mr Ihab had not arrived for work.

"He has been in England three weeks and he was living in Finsbury Park," Mr Rebergue said. "His friends last spoke to him on Wednesday night. He should have been at work at 9am on Thursday. He would have boarded the Tube at Finsbury Park. No one has heard from him since and his mobile is not answering."


Relatives said Miriam Hyman, of Finchley, north London, had last been heard from at around 9.30am on Thursday when she was outside King's Cross station. "We suspect Miriam was on the Northern line travelling to a publishing house where she worked," her sister, Esther Hyman, said. "She routinely changed trains at Embankment and from there would either take a river bus to the office, if the weather was nice, or board another Tube train. Miriam always left her home at around 8am, which would have put her in King's Cross an hour later."

Her father, John, said: "I called her on her mobile shortly after 9.30am ... she was milling around outside King's Cross and that was the last I heard from her. We don't think she would have been on a train but we are concerned that she may have been on the bus. We are checking hospitals and contacted the police. It may be that she is in hospital suffering from shock or has lost her purse with her identification in it."

Friends have posted notices at King's Cross with a photograph and contact details.

Anthony Fatayi-Williams 26, OIL EXECUTIVE

Mr Fatayi-Williams is thought to have tried to make his way to King's Cross by bus after delays on the Northern line prevented him getting to his work near Liverpool Street station. He is understood to have been in the NW1 area and may have been on the bus that exploded in Tavistock Square. His close friend Amrit Walia said Mr Fatayi-Williams, an executive with the Amoco oil company, attempted to call his mobile at 8.39am, but he had missed the call. "He has not contacted a single one of his friends since yesterday morning and his mobile phone is constantly on voicemail," Mr Walia said. "He is usually very conscientious and would have called if only to check everyone else was OK." Mr Walia said he and another of Mr Fatayi-Williams's friends had driven round London to check the casualty lists of 10 hospitals. He said: "We understand the police have a job to do, but it is agonising to sit and wait, which is all they have advised us to do."

Richard Ellery 21, SHOP ASSISTANT

The father of Richard Ellery was planning to show a photo of his son to passers-by in Liverpool Street station yesterday.

Richard sent a text message to his parents, Trevor and Beverley, at 8.30am on Thursday as he travelled from his home in Ipswich to Liverpool Street on his way to work in the Jessops store in Kensington. He has not been heard from since.

Mr Ellery, from Southampton, Hampshire, travelled to London to search for his son.

Ojara Ikeagwu 55, SOCIAL WORKER

Nothing has been heard of Ojara Ikeagwu, who has three children, since Thursday morning.

The 55-year-old social worker, who lives in Luton and works in Hounslow, west London, caught her usual train to King's Cross station yesterday morning. From there she would have taken a Tube on the Piccadilly line towards Hounslow some time between 8.30am and 9am.

Her cousins, Chris Agwu, a solicitor, and Ernest Obi, an IT consultant, visited hospitals in London yesterday in search of news.

Mr Agwu, 45, from Kent, said: "We are going round all the hospitals and asking people if they have seen Ojara and showing them a picture. All we want to do is circulate this picture in case someone has some news and has seen her."

Ojara and her husband, Okorasor, a retired doctor, have three grown-up children.

Mr Agwu said: "She has a mobile phone but there has been no answer on it. She normally arrives home about 7pm but we haven't heard anything since yesterday morning."

Mr Obi, 35, from east London, said: "When you consider the circumstances and the trauma you find it very difficult to cope. We are all working together as a family to try and found out what has happened."

Ciaran Cassidy 22

Ciaran Cassidy lives with his parents in Finsbury Park. He was on a Piccadilly line train heading for work at Chancery Lane.

His sister Lisa said: "He never reached work. He was on the Piccadilly Line but we've lost all communication with him."


She vanished after she was evacuated from Euston station. She made the decision to catch a bus to her office. She and her boyfriend of two years, Gous Ali, 32, live in Hendon, north London, and had been planning to move in together. Mr Ali, a property developer, said his girlfriend would have been in the area of Tavistock Square, where the No 30 bus was ripped apart. He said she had made a telephone call to say she was going to be late for work - and she had also tried to telephone him at about 9.30am, but he had missed her call. Mr Ali, who has been making frustrating telephone calls in an attempt to locate his girlfriend, added: "I just don't know what to do. I'm going crazy." He said that Ms Jain's family was "frantic" with worry for their missing daughter.

Rachelle Chung For Yuen 27, ACCOUNTANT

The family and friends of Rachelle Lieng Siong Chung For Yuen were anxiously searching for her at London's hospitals yesterday.

Ms Chung For Yuen, an accountant from Mauritius, who has been living in Britain for the past five years, has not been seen since she left her house in Mill Hill, north London, with her 29-year-old husband, Billy, at 7.30am on the day of the bomb attacks.

Her brother-in-law, Jeffray Chung For Yuen, said the family had had no sleep overnight. "We are all so worried, especially my brother of course. They only got married last August. It hasn't even been a year.

"We have been trying to reach her since 1pm on Thursday when my brother realised her mobile was switched off. He called her work in Piccadilly Circus to see if she was there and they said she hadn't turned up."

Ms Chung For Yuen's family believe she probably changed trains at Bank station and was caught in the King's Cross bomb blast. Yesterday her family visited St Mary's Hospital, University College hospital, St Thomas's and the Royal Free before checking the Royal London in the afternoon.

They were beginning to lose hope. "I am really frustrated," said Jeffray, "I don't know what else we can do."

Mike Matushita 37, TOUR GUIDE

Mr Matushita left his job in finance in New York after the 9/11 attacks and was due to marry his girlfriend, Rosie Cowan, who lived with him in Islington, north London. He had just started work at a tour company's London office, and was on the Piccadilly line train. Ms Cowan said: "I am trying to be optimistic. I am too young to become a grieving widow."


Mr Russell, a report writer at the City merchant bank, had called his office to say that he had been evacuated from Euston station but that he was going to get a bus. He never arrived at work. Yesterday his brother-in-law, John Steadman, 39, was cycling from hospital to hospital in London to try to find him. Mr Steadman described his brother-in-law as 6ft 1in tall and about twelve-and-a-half stone in weight. "I'm suggesting going round showing some of the doctors and nurses photos just in case there is human error putting in the information," he told reporters outside the Royal London Hospital in east London. Mr Steadman had already been to two hospitals before he arrived at the Royal London yesterday afternoon. He explained he had cycled in a hurry from St Mary's to the Whitechapel hospital because he had been told that it was treating three unidentified people. But none of those patients was his brother-in-law. "The police have been fantastically organised," he said. "But the most frustrating thing is that we are not hearing anything from anyone. I am not the kind of person who can sit around and do nothing. I'd go out of my head."