Mystery of London man found on raft off Norway
Police and immigration officials in several countries were still attempting to establish how a homeless man from London came to be discovered floating on a raft in the sea between Denmark and Norway.
The man, who has told Swedish police that his name is George Williams, was discovered in the Skagerrak Sea on 21 April. The Norwegian tanker that rescued him took him to Sweden, where he is now being held in an immigration hostel having applied for asylum.
Mr Williams, who was suffering from frostbite and dehydration, told police that he was thrown off another ship and spent four nights on the raft. He claims to have been a "stateless American" who had been living in London but was born in Cape Town in 1959. The American Church in London has said he was a regular at a soup kitchen it runs.
The church said he was usually smartly dressed, was "courteous and talkative", but gave few details about his past.
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela's death: South Africa and the world mourns loss of Nelson Mandela
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£50000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: Senior Automation QA ...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...