NoW drops 'name and shame' campaign

Click to follow
The Independent Online

The News of the World newspaper is to stop its controversial campaign of naming paedophiles after a number of innocent men have been victimised for looking like people pictured in the paper.

The News of the World newspaper is to stop its controversial campaign of naming paedophiles after a number of innocent men have been victimised for looking like people pictured in the paper.

In a statement, the Sunday tabloid newspaper said it would continue its "For Sarah" campaign, named after murdered schoolgirl Sarah Payne, demanding a public register of sex offenders.

The paper confirmed that a number of NoW staff, including the new editor Rebekah Wade, had received death threats.

Managing Editor Stuart Kettner, denied that this was the reason that the "naming and shaming" campaign had been dropped.

Gill Mackenzie, of the Association of Chief Probation Officers, said: "We are delighted that the 'naming and shaming' campaign is ceasing."

Referring to a list of possible new measures to boost child protection, she said: "Together with the police we considered very carefully the items we had on the list and we and the police are committed to moving forward in making practical developments for the protection of children."

Phillip Noyes, public policy director at the NSPCC, said: "The NSPCC has been campaigning on child protection for a long time. Our hearts have been with the News of the World but we couldn't support their campaign.

"We are very pleased to give our wholehearted support for the 'Sarah's Law' campaign."

Comments