Search fails to yield clues to Danielle

Click to follow
The Independent Online

The search for the missing schoolgirl Danielle Jones was due to resume today after hundreds of volunteers yesterday failed to find any trace of her.

Police had to turn away hundreds more volunteers who wanted to help in the search for the 15-year-old.

Between five and six hundred members of the public turned up to scour marshland for signs of Danielle, who disappeared on her way to school from her home in East Tilbury, Essex, nearly two weeks ago. Police limited the numbers to just over 300.

A police spokeswoman said after the search: "We will be taking things away, found on the search, but at the moment there is nothing significant that we are aware of that has been found."

Danielle was last seen leaving her house to catch a bus around 8 am on Monday 18 June. Police say a girl matching her description was seen getting into a blue van.

A specialist search team from the Brecon Beacons in Wales had already been brought in to help search land near to Danielle's home but found no evidence.

Detective Superintendent Peter Coltman, who is leading the hunt for Danielle, said he is becoming increasingly concerned. There had been no contact with Danielle since she disappeared.

Comments