Second child for Chris and Gwyneth is the baby Moses
Tuesday 11 April 2006
The child arrived safely this weekend, according to the actress's spokeswoman Emily Yomtobian who could neither confirm nor deny whether his passage into the world had been hastened through a Caesarean section. Ms Yomtobian would say only that he was healthy, adding: "Mum and baby are both doing well. I'm sure they are ecstatic."
The name has been one of the most eagerly awaited announcements in the world of showbusiness, not least since the couple called their first-born daughter Apple two years ago. Naming their second born after the Jewish prophet however appears less surprising in the context of Paltrow's family history.
While her mother was a Quaker, the star's father, the film director Bruce Paltrow, was a prominent Jewish American. He in turn was a direct descendant of David HaLevi Segal, the 17th century patriarch from Krakow, part of the mighty Paltrowich dynasty which gave the world a further 33 rabbis.
As for the importance of the name to Martin, Moses was the title of a song he wrote for his wife shortly before their low-key wedding in California in 2003. The previously unreleased track was included on the his Live 2003 album, recorded in Sydney.
The lyrics include the words: "Like Moses has power over sea so you've got power over me ... You're a refuge, somewhere I can go. You're air that, air that I can breathe, 'cause you're my golden opportunity." Martin told fans it was the song he most enjoyed performing.
The naming of the couple's first child prompted considerable amusement in the media and provoked comparisons with stars such as Frank Zappa and David Bowie, who called their children Moon Unit and Zowie respectively. For the down-to-earth Martins, the truth was altogether more prosaic. It was eventually revealed that the girl, Apple Blythe Alison Martin, was named after the daughter of the singer's new agent, Marty Diamond. Paltrow told Oprah Winfrey: "It sounded so sweet and it conjured such a lovely picture for me - you know, apples are so sweet and they're wholesome and it's biblical - and I just thought it sounded so lovely and clean."
The couple are famous for their squeaky-clean lifestyle. Strict vegans, espousing macrobiotic foods and eschewing the traditional drug and drink excesses of their trades, their straight stance has earned some harsh press coverage. Martin has been called everything from "ultra nerd" to the leading light of the "gloom rock" movement. His brand of liberal politics, association with the fairtrade movement and high profile at last year's Live8 project has led to accusations that he takes himself somewhat too seriously. Paltrow is also no stranger to politics. She supported the presidential election campaign of Senator John Kerry in 2004 and gave money to Emily's List, a network of pro-choice Democratic women.
The Oscar-winning star's former boyfriend, Brad Pitt is also expecting a child with his partner Angelina Jolie.
In what promises to complete a hat trick of A-list births, Tom Cruise and his fiancée Katie Holmes are also due.
Odd sounding offspring
* Moon Unit, daughter of Frank and Gail Zappa. Her siblings' names were hardly more conventional: Ahmet, Diva and Dweezil
* Elijah Bob Patricius Guggi Q Hewson, son of Bono and Ali Hewson
* Poppy Honey and Daisy Boo, daughters of Jamie and Jools Oliver
* Zowie, eldest son of David Bowie and his first wife Angie
* Rolan Bolan, son of Marc Bolan and Gloria Jones
* Fifi Trixibelle, Peaches Honeyblossom and Pixie, daughters of Bob Geldof and Paula Yates. Their half-sister's name is equally as exotic: Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily - daughter of Ms Yates and Michael Hutchence, the late INXS singer
* Dandelion Pallenberg, daughter of Anita Pallenberg and Keith Richards
* Tallulah Willis, daughter of Bruce Willis and Demi Moore
Exclusive: World’s most pristine waters are polluted by US Navy human waste
Saint Patrick's Day 2014: Chicago River turns green
Saint Patrick's Day: Google Doodle marks patron saint of Ireland - here are 10 things you didn't know about the man
Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Britain’s five richest families worth as much as poorest 20 per cent, says Oxfam
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Our client operates within the healthcare...
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Our client is a tech start up within the ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Cardiff: Randstad Education are currently seeki...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Cardiff: Randstad Education Cardiff are current...