The top ten: Genuine shop names
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 23 March 2014
A letter in a rival Sunday newspaper recently contested the claim that Junk & Disorderly was the best-punning shop name in Britain, claiming the title for a butcher in Tooting called Halal – Is It Meat You're Looking For. Sadly, there is no such shop. But these are all genuine...
1. Wok This Way Chinese take-away in Newcastle nominated by Richard Thomas.
2. Sun Tan Drews Tanning salon, now closed, in north-east Fife university town. Nominated by Andrew Keenan.
3. Curl Up and Dye Hairdresser in many places, including Kingston. From Nick Hoenig.
4. Melon Cauli Greengrocer in Pheasey, Birmingham (the sign also says "funeral work undertaken"). From Ian.
5. Kumquat Mae Vegetarian restaurant, Sheffield. Put forward by James Whetlor.
6. Napoleon Boiler Parts Alton, Hampshire. "It almost makes us want our boiler to be repaired," say Pauline and Bernard Sheridan.
7. Lawn Order Gardener's van seen by Gary Plumb.
8. Sellfridges A fridge shop in Stoke Newington, north London, that entertains Alexander Fury.
9. B-Side The C-Side Record shop in Herne Bay. Sent in by Daniel Houghton.
10. Maison D'Etre Restaurant, Highbury Corner, north London. From Simon Wilder.
Next week: Fictional villains.
Coming soon: Words with opposite meanings (sanction, oversight). Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to email@example.com
- 1 BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
General Election 2015: David Cameron catching up in polls – but he badly needs a clear lead
South Africa xenophobic attacks: Shops looted and violence on streets of Johannesburg as foreigners are forced to hide in police stations
Earthworms rain down from skies over Norway, puzzling scientists
18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a white stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
Russian warships in English Channel 'to conduct anti-aircraft and anti-submarine military drills'
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Front-End UI Application ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Domestic Service Only Engineers are requ...
£23600 - £27500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Employability Service withi...