The top ten: Genuine shop names
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at Queen Mary, University of London, where he teaches contemporary history. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 23 March 2014
A letter in a rival Sunday newspaper recently contested the claim that Junk & Disorderly was the best-punning shop name in Britain, claiming the title for a butcher in Tooting called Halal – Is It Meat You're Looking For. Sadly, there is no such shop. But these are all genuine...
1. Wok This Way Chinese take-away in Newcastle nominated by Richard Thomas.
2. Sun Tan Drews Tanning salon, now closed, in north-east Fife university town. Nominated by Andrew Keenan.
3. Curl Up and Dye Hairdresser in many places, including Kingston. From Nick Hoenig.
4. Melon Cauli Greengrocer in Pheasey, Birmingham (the sign also says "funeral work undertaken"). From Ian.
5. Kumquat Mae Vegetarian restaurant, Sheffield. Put forward by James Whetlor.
6. Napoleon Boiler Parts Alton, Hampshire. "It almost makes us want our boiler to be repaired," say Pauline and Bernard Sheridan.
7. Lawn Order Gardener's van seen by Gary Plumb.
8. Sellfridges A fridge shop in Stoke Newington, north London, that entertains Alexander Fury.
9. B-Side The C-Side Record shop in Herne Bay. Sent in by Daniel Houghton.
10. Maison D'Etre Restaurant, Highbury Corner, north London. From Simon Wilder.
Next week: Fictional villains.
Coming soon: Words with opposite meanings (sanction, oversight). Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 Now diplomacy has failed, boycotting Israel might be the only way we can protect the people of Gaza
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 5 Kelsey Grammer forgives the man who raped and murdered his sister in 1975
Russell Brand accuses Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
Kenny Ireland dead: Benidorm actor dies aged 68
Justin Bieber posts Instagram photo of Orlando Bloom crying after Ibiza fight 'over Miranda Kerr'
Air Algerie AH5017 crash: Jet fell 30,000 feet in three minutes ‘due to violent storm’
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >
£60000 - £70000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£55000 - £65000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£50000 - £60000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...