The Top Ten: Great unremarked changes of our lifetime
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 06 July 2014
This list was suggested by Andrew Denny, who was responsible for the first item. Sorry if it is basically a lot of old people saying, "You don't know how lucky you are."
1. Duvets replaced sheets and blankets In the 1970s.
2. Nobody calls mum and dad with three rings any more Suggested by Karl Turner.
3. Street design Getting rid of pedestrian railings, principally, I find. My contribution.
4. Owners clean up after their dogs. Mostly. Observed by Man Without Beard.
5. Wine and coffee One was only occasional, sweet and in tiny glasses, the other instant and horrible. Proposed by Andrew Cooper.
6. The end of lunchtime drinking Mourned by Fat Tom.
7. The Flynn Effect: IQ scores have been rising for 80 years Calculated by Dan Fox.
8. Road deaths Annual number in the UK are down by two-thirds in 30 years. Suggested by Mark Bassett.
9. Bottled water From Jan Huntingdon (who also mentioned postmen in shorts).
10. Rolling luggage Wheeled in by Rob Marchant.
Next week: Elegant variations (such as a yes-brainer or a might-read)
Coming soon: MPs related to other MPs.
Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to email@example.com
- 1 Hair loss explained: How and why men go bald
- 2 Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe the Stark may have a twin sister
- 3 Artist takes LSD, draws herself over different stages of the 9-hour trip to show its effects
- 4 A pint of water every day is the key to losing weight, scientists say
- 5 Russia 'accidentally reveals' number of its soldiers killed in eastern Ukraine
Most expensive city to live in for expatriates: Luanda, Angola takes number one spot with Hong Kong and Zurich in top three
Video of Irish 'professional boxer' fighting Istanbul neighbourhood goes viral in Turkey
Irish tourist filmed fighting with shopkeepers in Turkey says they 'messed with the wrong man'
House of Lords: Outcry as donors, fixers and MPs caught up in expenses scandal get peerages
Moody neurotics are more likely to be creative geniuses, study says
Dresden riots: Protesters in Germany attack refugee buses shouting 'foreigners out'
France train shooting: US soldiers speak of the moment they stopped gunman and 'beat him until he was unconscious'
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn accused of 'deluding' young supporters with 'claptrap'
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith calls for urgent ESA overhaul as part of drive to cut down welfare costs
£13000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Would you like to be part of a ...
£19000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This IT and Telecoms company ar...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...