The Top Ten: Great unremarked changes of our lifetime
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at Queen Mary, University of London, where he teaches contemporary history. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 06 July 2014
This list was suggested by Andrew Denny, who was responsible for the first item. Sorry if it is basically a lot of old people saying, "You don't know how lucky you are."
1. Duvets replaced sheets and blankets In the 1970s.
2. Nobody calls mum and dad with three rings any more Suggested by Karl Turner.
3. Street design Getting rid of pedestrian railings, principally, I find. My contribution.
4. Owners clean up after their dogs. Mostly. Observed by Man Without Beard.
5. Wine and coffee One was only occasional, sweet and in tiny glasses, the other instant and horrible. Proposed by Andrew Cooper.
6. The end of lunchtime drinking Mourned by Fat Tom.
7. The Flynn Effect: IQ scores have been rising for 80 years Calculated by Dan Fox.
8. Road deaths Annual number in the UK are down by two-thirds in 30 years. Suggested by Mark Bassett.
9. Bottled water From Jan Huntingdon (who also mentioned postmen in shorts).
10. Rolling luggage Wheeled in by Rob Marchant.
Next week: Elegant variations (such as a yes-brainer or a might-read)
Coming soon: MPs related to other MPs.
Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 'The Fappening': Rihanna 'nude pictures' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
- 2 Frank Lampard equalises for Manchester City against Chelsea: how the internet reacted
- 3 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 5 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
'The Fappening': Rihanna 'nude pictures' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
Scotland could declare independence without referendum, says Alex Salmond
The Fappening: Jennifer Lawrence leaked 4Chan sex video branded 'fake' by forum users
Britain First picture: Photographer 'horrified' after first Afghan policewoman killed by Taliban used for 'ban the burka' campaign
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
£70000 - £80000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Group Head of Marketing and Communic...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Level 3 Nursery Nurse required for ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: L3 Nursery Nurses urgently required...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: We have a number of schools based S...