The top ten: Monarchs 1066-1707
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 01 December 2013
Sir Michael Barber, who was head of the Prime Minister's Delivery Unit from 2001 to 2005, suggested this list: monarchs of England 'judged on leaving the country in better shape than they found it', and he provided most of the rankings here...
1. Henry VII Michael Barber's top choice.
2. William I I, for one, welcome our new Norman overlords.
3. Elizabeth I "For declining to make windows into men's souls," says Michael McCarthy.
4. Edward III "Crécy. Black Prince. Bicameral parliament. Treason Act. English used in law. JPs." Nominated by David Head.
5. Henry II "Juries, rule of law." Put forward by Louise McCudden.
6. William III and Mary II Bill of Rights.
7. Henry V Agincourt.
8. Harold II Godwinson. "Defeat of Harald Hardrada meant there was a united kingdom of England for William to inherit." Thanks to John Blake.
9. Edward II "For losing at Bannockburn and thus ensuring 1707 would be a Union not an incorporation." Nominated by Alex Massie.
10. John "For being rubbish, thus giving rise to the Magna Carta." From Ian Silvera.
Next week: Trollemics: 'deliberately over-the-top arguments designed to generate controversy'.
Coming soon: Words used with only one other word (serried, fledged and so on). Send suggestions (by 10 December), along with ideas for any future Top 10s, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
£35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Required skills include SQL querying, SSRS, u...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: C#.Net Developer - C#, ASP.Net, HTML...
Negotiable: Argyll Scott International: Senior Business Analyst - Insurance ...
£25000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This independent, growing Sales...