Trending: The new 'country the size of Wales'
When Keith Vaz, chairman of the Home Affairs Select Committee, warned at the weekend that the UK Border Agency faces a backlog of cases equivalent to the population of Newcastle, many responded by simply scratching their head, having no idea how many people that constituted.
Could Newcastle's population (roughly 280,000) be a new unhelpful unit of comparison set to baffle the public, in the same way that "an area the size of Wales" is used by the media to describe anything from an expanse of rainforest to the size of an iceberg, or North Korea ("five times the size of Wales", according to the BBC)?
To aid this new unit of measurement's smooth transition into the British lexicon, what else is equivalent to the population of Newcastle? Well, the number of Americans who bought Britney Spears' last album in its first week was equivalent to the population of Newcastle as is the average audience for Glee on Sky TV. The total workforce of Nestlé is also equivalent to the population of Newcastle and let's not forget that the population of Newark, New Jersey, is, too. All clear?
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...