'We can't live in fear': bomb victims go back to work

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Mark Margolis

The 29 year-old was one of the first survivors to emerge from the King's Cross tunnel. He has had trouble sleeping since the disaster, but has been back on the Tube with his wife. He said: "There is a spirit of defiance. All my friends are saying the same thing. They all want to get back out there and show the world they are not going to change the way they live."

Mandy Yu

The 23-year-old graphic designer was engulfed in thick smoke after the Piccadilly line explosion. She said:

"I've been suffering nightmares, waking up in a cold sweat at night. I remember that everything went black, then the emergency lights went on. It was so difficult to breathe, while a lady in the first carriage was screaming and screaming, which echoed back into the second carriage where I was sitting. People were praying. But I think it is important we get back to normal as quickly as possible, so I'll be going back to work this week."

Luiza Pettersson

The 36 year-old office manager was in the third carriage of the bombed Piccadilly line train. She said: "From the beginning I said I'm going back into work on Monday. But I don't think I'll be going on the Tube - I fear being stuck in a tunnel again. I'll catch a bus. I know I'll have to go on the Tube again, but not yet. I'm shivering at the idea of going on a train and going underground, but I'm going to go. We can't live in fear. The strongest feeling I had was anger. I'm not depressed, or scared - I'm just angry."

Lawrence Pierce

The 22 year-old IT technician ran for the No 30 bus but the driver pulled away before he reached the stop.

Seconds later the bomb exploded. He said: "I'm not scared of the terrorists and will be back at work today. We have to show how strong we are and not let them win. The bombings have brought the people of London closer to each other. There is a big feeling of togetherness, knowing we are all fighting this together - a feeling of community is coming back."

George Psaradakis

George Psaradakis, 49, was the driver of the No.30 bus that exploded at Tavistock Square. He said: "Myself and the other drivers in London have an important job and we are going to continue to do that as best we can. We are going to continue our normal lives. We are not going to be intimidated."