Working windmill brings rural life to ... Brixton
Urban development, steam power and the industrial revolution all contributed to their decline in Britain, but a community in south London was yesterday celebrating the reopening of a historic 19th century windmill, the last remaining of its kind in inner London.
Now restored structurally after a fund-raising effort by local residents, Ashby's Mill in Brixton is to grind wheat once more.
Built in 1816, the windmill functioned for over a century. It became a Grade II* listed building in 1951, but limited restoration work was carried out and it became derelict in the 1970s.
Friends of Windmill Garden, the group behind the project, worked in partnership with Lambeth Council, which gave £55,000, and also received a Heritage Lottery grant of £397,000.
"Most people in Brixton didn't know it was there," said Jean Kerrigan, chairwoman of Friendsof Windmill Gardens. "We hope the mill will raise the profile of thelocal area, provide employmentand be a centre of fun and education for local people."
In pictures: Saturn images from Cassini probe as it prepares to turn lens towards Earth
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
FBI finds possible human remains at former home of late gangster James Burke - the man who inspired Goodfellas
'Theres something quite unpleasant going on': Nigel Farage confronted for second time on visit to Scotland
World news in pictures
- 1 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 4 Exclusive: Newcastle's star talent-spotter on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout
- 5 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...