Twyford Down campaigner jailed for breaking M3 ban
Saturday 19 March 1994
Mark Simons was among 55 objectors banned from the Hampshire site by the High Court last July. He was given a 28-day suspended jail sentence last September for breaching the injunction.
Yesterday, Mr Justice Turner was told that Simons broke the order again in November and he saw photographs and a video recording of Simons beating a drum and watching a play performed by other protesters on the site.
Enforcing the 28-day jail term and adding three months for the additional breach, the judge said Simons returned to the site in deliberate defiance of the injunction.
Simons, who is from Somerset and has been living in squats, told the judge it seemed 'absurd' to jail him for watching a play.
The jail order was sought by the Ministry of Transport, which has fought a long legal battle with protesters. It claims delays to the project and damage to equipment have cost more than pounds 1m.
- 1 Ireland gay marriage vote: 'No' campaign appears to concede amid reports of 'yes' landslide victory
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...