UK will not make bid for chess contest
Monday 08 February 1993
In the week since Short defeated Jan Timman to become the official challenger, frantic efforts have been made by Manchester City Council to put together a bid, but with the International Chess Federation (FIDE) seeking a dollars 4m ( pounds 2.7m) prize fund, it has been impossible to make the necessary arrangements within the available time. The British Chess Federation yesterday night made a formal request for the deadline to be extended by three weeks.
If anyone has yet submitted a bid near the desired figure, it is a secret known only to the bidders and the president of FIDE. Barcelona, believed until recently to be the most likely venue, has apparently also decided not to bid, while Djakarta, Berlin and Zagreb, all of which were mentioned as possible bidders in earlier despatches from FIDE headquarters, have not made their intentions known.
The only sure bid appears to be from the city of Santiago de Compostela, Spain, but their proposed prize fund is understood to be considerably less than the dollars 4m asked by FIDE. Two previous bidders for the match, Los Angeles and Ontario, both dropped out when they were unable to obtain the required sponsorship.
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£50000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: Senior Automation QA ...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...