Violence mars celebrations

Click to follow
The Independent Online
VIOLENCE marred many celebrations to mark the beginning of 1994.

In Leicester a policewoman suffered spinal injuries after being crushed and run over by a stolen car. Pc Deborah Mummery, 31, was injured after she and a woman colleague cornered the car thief on New Year's Eve.

When she got out to speak to him, he reversed into her, trapping her between the stolen car and the police vehicle. The driver then sped off, running over Pc Mummery. The stolen vehicle was later recovered abandoned.

Leicestershire's Deputy Chief Constable, David Wyrko, described the attack as appalling. 'She could quite easily have been killed,' he said.

Pc Mummery, who has two young children, suffered a broken arm and severe bruising as well as spinal injuries. A police spokeswoman said the full extent of the spinal injuries was not yet known.

A father of six died when he was stabbed during a New Year's party. Wayne Brierley, 28, was celebrating in Teesville, near Middlesbrough, Cleveland, when he was stabbed in the throat and collapsed.

Police said that Malcolm Smith, 18, a soldier serving with the Green Howards was arrested and will appear before magistrates tomorrow.

A former heavyweight boxer was shot dead on New Year's Eve in what police believe to be a gangland killing. Vivian

Graham, aged 34, from Newcastle upon Tyne, was hit several times by shots fired from a passing car outside a pub in Wallsend, North Tyneside. He later died in hospital.

A murder hunt was launched at Preston, Lancashire, after a young man was stabbed to death in the street. In another incident at Cossington, Somerset, Maurice Napper, 64, collapsed and died after being threatened by intruders while on neighbourhood watch patrol.

Detectives in Birmingham are hunting a pensioner whom they describe as dangerous

after a grieving man was clubbed to death as he scattered his father's ashes over his garden. Tom Spence, 47, was hit about the head with a pick- axe handle in front of his common-law wife as he paid his last respects to his deceased father, after returning home from a crematorium with the ashes.

West Midlands Police said they were anxious to talk to Lambert Small, a neighbour of the victim. They believe that Mr Small, 67, may be suffering from a mental illness, and should not be approached.

It is understood that there had been a long-running feud between Mr Small and Mr Spence, who lived in adjacent council houses in Nechells, Birmingham.