Virgin puts emphasis on albums
A founder member of The Independent David Lister joined the paper in 1986 as Assistant Home Editor. He became the paper's arts correspondent in 1988 and is now Arts Editor and writes a column each Saturday. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.
Wednesday 06 January 1993
Virgin Radio, part of Richard Branson's empire, which will pay pounds 1.8m a year for the next eight years to broadcast on the old Radio 3 AM frequency, will launch nationally at the end of March.
It has parted with its founder programme director Andrew Marshall, and appointed the former Radio 1 DJ Richard Skinner and the radio producer John Revell as joint programme directors.
The 24-hour station plans to differ from Radio 1 by broadcasting 80 per cent music with few interviews, weather reports and chats, and having a musical diet akin to the magazine Q, which aims for older rock fans.
Elly Smith, spokeswoman for Virgin Radio which will broadcast from Woking, Surrey, said: 'There will be no rap, no dance music (and) no programmes bound to the singles charts which are so appalling these days.'
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£34999 - £43001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top 10 firm in ...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Software E...
£45000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Java In...
£40000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Senior ...