Young are eating more junk
Thursday 14 October 1993
The government-backed survey of about 5,500 11- to 16- year-olds show that 53 per cent of the girls do not eat breakfast, one-third skip lunch and 17 per cent do not eat dinner.
The first survey, in 1986, found that 62 per cent ate breakfast, 84 per cent ate lunch and 89 per cent ate dinner.
The study, by Health Promotion Wales, is part of a wider European programme co-ordinated by the World Health Organisation. The latest report Diet and Young People in Wales, 1986-1992 shows that both boys and girls eat snacks more often.
The figure for boys snacking has risen from 28 per cent to 40 per cent in six years.
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
Leaked documents show Ukip leaders approve NHS privatisation once it becomes more 'acceptable to the electorate'
£38000 - £42000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's best performing...
£35000 - £43000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Our award-winning client is one...
£15000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of Atlas ...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Opportunity to join established...