Unesco founder dies at 94
Yesterday, Rev John Sturdy, dean of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, announced that Mr Needham, 94, had died in his sleep. "He was one of the great men of the century," said Mr Sturdy, who had been associated with him for more than 70 years. "He had an extraordinary range of interests"
His opus covered subjects ranging from history, philosophy and astronomy to acupuncture and navigation. His writings encompassed Chinese history, philosophy, mathematics, chemistry, astronomy, medicine, shipbuilding and navigation, to name but a few. Such a broad range of interests astonished academics the world over, but Mr Needham did manage to attract criticism for claiming the Americans had used germ warfare in Korea.
Fellow of Caius from 1924 and Master from 1966, he became a director of the Needham Research Institute in Cambridge in 1976, where specialists continue to study the impact of China on the world.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£600 - £750 per day: Orgtel: FATCA Project Manager - Banking - London - £600-...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're an ambi...
£43000 - £50000 per annum + £5K Car Allowance + Bens : May & Stephens Recrui...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + Bens : May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're...