Voting for a new Britain: Campaigns Briefing 3 Days to Go
Monday 03 May 1999
AN SNP-controlled Scottish Parliament would hold an inquiry into the "scandal" of the privately-financed pounds 180m redevelopment of Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, Alex Salmond, has promised. "Private consortia are ripping off the public purse," he said.
SEAN CONNERY'S visit to lend support to the SNP could have proved costly. A thief, posing as his personal assistant, tried to use the actor's credit card number to place telephone orders for a range of goods from a lawnmower to a pounds 150,000 work of art. The thief said he was working for a bogus Connery company called Goldfinger Productions.
ON THE campaign trail in Perth, Scottish Tory Ian Stevenson condemned the Government's beef on the bone ban: "Scottish Conservatives will fight in the new parliament to give the people of Scotland the freedom to make their own choices as to what they buy and eat," he said.
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Unpaid Voluntary Position : Reach Volunteering: Volunteer your expertise as Tr...
£68 - £73 per day + Competitive rates of pay based on experience: Randstad Edu...
£69 - £73 per day + Competitive London rates of pay: Randstad Education Group:...
£117 - £157 per day + Competitive London rates: Randstad Education Group: * Pr...