Welfare: Benefit fraud swallows pounds 2.8bn
Thursday 15 January 1998
As a result Sir John Bourn, the Comptroller and Auditor General, has refused to give a clean bill of health to the finances of the Department of Social Security. He estimates that Income Support fraud has gone up by 25 per cent in two years, to pounds 1.77bn.
Although there were no directly comparable figures for previous years, initiatives to cut out errors seemed to be having little effect. One in five benefit assessments were found to be wrong in 1996-97 - the same figure as in 1995-96. However, the Government saved pounds 691m on the Jobseekers' Allowance, partly because the new benefit deterred claimants.
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£50000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: Senior Automation QA ...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...