1000 killed in Angola battles

Click to follow
The Independent Online
LUANDA (Reuter) - Fierce fighting spread to two more Angolan provincial capitals yesterday as the government stepped up its offensive against Unita rebels, raising fears that full- scale civil war was resuming.

State-run radio said Unita had been driven out of most of Cunene province, although there was still fighting around the town of Namacunde. The state radio also said that Unita forces in the city of Namibe had been crushed. There was no independent confirmation of either claim. Fighting and shelling which began on Monday was said to be continuing in two other coastal cities, Benguela and Lobito.

Comments