200 Tamil rebels die in military ambush
Saturday 29 July 1995
"We had intelligence of a likely attack so we took precautions," a senior officer at the Weli Oya base, on the north-east coast of the island, said.
The military said more than 3,000 Tamil Tigers launched simultaneous attacks on four camps at the base in the early hours. Navy patrol craft and air force fighters sank 15 "Sea Tiger" boats, including fourspeedboats captured earlier from the navy, sources said.
"The first wave of Tigers managed to land but the navy engaged the main body," thearmy officer said. "At first light the air force came in full force."
Military spokesman, Brigadier Sarath Munasinghe, said troops found 182 rebel bodies, men and women. "But enemy casualties are believed to be much higher as we have not recovered their dead from air and naval attacks."
Brigadier Munasinghe said two soldiers were killed and 18 wounded. Earlier reports said 14 soldiers died. Two women "suicide killers" carrying explosives were shot dead outside brigade headquarters in Weli Oya.
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
Vanessa Feltz criticises 'vile' reaction to Rolf Harris allegations
£60000 - £75000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Business Analyst Consultant (Fina...
£60000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A leading provider in investment managemen...
£600 - £700 per day: Harrington Starr: AVS, JVS Openlink Endur Developer JVS, ...
£45000 - £60000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: Exciting opp...