24 coup-plotters convicted by court in Benin
Wednesday 07 September 1994
Delivering guilty verdicts on all but three of the 27 defendants, the judge sentenced eight to between three and 10 years in prison with hard labour. He sentenced 16 in their absence to life imprisonment with hard labour and aquitted the other three.
The alleged ringleader, Pascal Tawes, was among the absentees. He is thought to have found shelter in neighbouring Togo from where he telephoned foreign media to proclaim his innocence.
The best-known defendant - sentenced to 10 years with hard labour - was Fousseni Gomina, head of military intelligence under the Marxist president Mathieu Kerekou.
Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
More than 200 flights delayed and cancelled at Heathrow as air traffic control problem affects airports across Britain
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£60000 - £65000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Senior C# WPF .NET Dev...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: QA Manual Tester FX Trading Platform/Derivative...
£34999 - £43001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top 10 firm in ...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Software E...