44 die as S Korean store caves in
Seoul disaster: Politicians and businesses accused of sacrificing construction safety standards in pursuit of economic growth
Friday 30 June 1995
The disaster happened around 6pm, when the Sampoong department store in Kamnang, a residential district in southern Seoul, was crowded with evening shoppers.
"You can hear them crying for help down there," one fireman said. But within a few hours, rescuers said, they feared many of those trapped were already dead. "Scores of people are still buried, but in view of smoke coming out of the rubble, most of them would have died of suffocation," an army sergeant said.
Only half of the building was left standing after a 300ft-long section of the five-storey structure collapsed in seconds. The cause appeared to be poor construction, although there was earlier speculation about a gas explosion. According to witnesses, cracks had been noticed throughout the day. Hours before the collapse, guests in a store restaurant said gas had been switched off, apparently because the management had already detected problems.
A store employee said an emergency meeting of the store's management was called but no steps were taken to close the building. Police said a meeting to discuss repairing the damage was taking place when the building collapsed.
"I felt the building wavering, and moments later, several store employees rushed down from upper floors," Han Junk Suk told KBS-TV. O Sang Yong, a cook in the restaurant on the fifth floor, described how he evacuated customers when a gaping crack appeared in the wall. "When I had got the customers out, I left by the walkway to the next building,'' he said. ''There were three loud bangs in succession, then a rumbling sound and I was thrown down."
The injured, many of them crushed, bleeding and unconscious, were dragged out and relayed to ambulances before billowing smoke from an underground fire and a strong smell of gas drove rescuers back. A thousand people were estimated to have been inside the collapsed portion of the building. Remote-control cameras tracking through the rubble showed people trapped by beams and girders. Most of the victims were believed to be staff and housewives shopping for dinner.
As night fell, rescue workers using cranes worked under spotlights to free the dozens of survivors in the basement.
The building, near one of the busiest junctions of the city, was built in 1989.
- 1 Migrant crisis: Greek soldier saved 20 people singlehandedly off Rhodes beach
- 2 Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
- 3 UK weather: Britain braced for snow as arctic air mass moves in
- 5 General Election 2015: Stephen Hawking says he will vote Labour
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Aaron and Melissa Klein: Oregon anti-gay bakers ordered to pay $135,000 after refusing to make cake for same-sex wedding
Andrew Lloyd Webber: Phantom of the Opera writer mocked after issuing a warning about Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon
General election 2015: Labour will toughen hate crimes legislation surrounding Islamophobia
HSBC review into moving headquarters from UK 'underway'
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Photographer/ Floor planner /...
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Front-End Developer - Guildford/Craw...
£13500 - £15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Customer Service Assistant is...
£16000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An ambitious and motivated Sale...