Sudan continued with its aerial bombardment of South Sudan yesterday, dropping eight bombs overnight as South Sudan's President said the attacks amounted to a declaration of war by the North.
South Sudan's military spokesman, Colonel Philip Aguer, said that Sudanese aircraft dropped eight bombs overnight in Panakuac, where ground fighting had been ongoing since Sunday. On Monday, Sudanese warplanes bombed a market and an oilfield in South Sudan, killing at least two people after Sudanese ground forces had reportedly crossed into South Sudan with tanks and artillery.
South Sudan seceded from Sudan last year as a result of a 2005 peace treaty that ended decades of war that killed two million people. The countries have been fighting over the sharing of oil revenues and a disputed border.
South Sudan's President, Salva Kiir, yesterday told China's President that attacks by Sudan amount to a declaration of war. He told President Hu Jintao that his visit to Beijing came at a "a very critical moment because our neighbour in Khartoum has declared war on the Republic of South Sudan".
There has yet to be a formal declaration of war by either of the Sudans, and Mr Kiir's remark signals a ratcheting up of the rhetoric. Mr Kiir arrived in China late on Monday for a five-day visit lobbying for economic and diplomatic support.Reuse content