Central African Republic rebels demand peace talks
Sunday 30 December 2012
Rebel forces were set to enter the capital, Bangui, as early as last night or this morning if President François Bozizé refused their conditions for peace talks, a rebel spokesman said.
The three-week-old rebellion has advanced to within 45 miles of Bangui, posing the most serious threat yet to Mr Bozizé's nearly 10 years in charge of the turbulent and resource-rich former French colony.
Thomas Yayi Boni, the chairman of the African Union, was due to meet Mr Bozizé yesterday to lay the groundwork for peace talks in Gabon with Seleka, an alliance of three armed groups that accuses Mr Bozizé of failing to honour a 2007 deal under which members would lay down their guns in exchange for payment.
- 1 Kim Jong-un shows off airport designed by architect he likely had executed
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 4 Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L James's Twitter Q&A didn't go exactly as planned
- 5 Facebook rainbow profile pictures likely being tracked by social network
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS
Tunisia beach attack: How can British Muslims respond to the latest outrages?
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An exciting opportunity has ari...
£15000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An On-line Sales & Customer Ser...
£15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the largest hospitality companies...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As a result of significant cont...