Egypt's military calls for dialogue to resolve political dispute
Egypt's military has warned of 'disastrous consequences' if the political
crisis gripping the country is not resolved through dialogue.
The military said in a statement read on state TV today that serious dialogue is the "best and only" way to overcome the nation's deepening political dispute.
Violent protests and clashes between supporters of Islamist President Mohammed Morsi and his opponents have left half a dozen civilians killed and several offices of the Muslim Brotherhood in flames since the crisis began last month.
Morsi has called for a national dialogue but opponents say he must first cancel a referendum set for 15 December on a contentious draft constitution and rescind decrees granting him immunity from any oversight.
A senior Muslim Brotherhood official welcomed the statement, which a military source said did not signal any plan for intervention.
Have shock jocks gone too far after Rush Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke a slut?
Former Google exec says he has 100,000 emails showing how 'immoral' company avoids paying UK tax
British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
World news in pictures
British father faces charges after confessing to slitting his two children's throats in Lyon flat
- 1 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 2 British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
- 3 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 4 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Negotiable: Randstad Education Cambridge: Maths Teaching within Secondary Scho...
£500 per day: Orgtel: A top tier banking client urgently requires Finance Gove...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Randstad Education is the market le...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Randstad Education London: A leading Further Educat...